Villa Guinigi Museum Lucca

Villa Guinigi Museum


Buildings, such as Villa Guinigi, now home to the National Museum and the Guinigi Tower, still bear witness to the great power that Guingi family held. In 1438, a conspiracy put an end to their power, when peace with Florence was supported militarily by the Visconti of Milan.

The National Museum of Villa Guinigi is one of the hidden gems of the city and is located in Via della Quarquonia, one of the oldest and most distinguished buildings in Lucca. This is one of the rarest examples of Tuscan villas existing from the 1400s.

Museo Villa GuinigiPaolo Guinigi, wealthy Lord of Lucca, spent a fortune building this impressive brick palace. The main façade is characterised by a long loggia and a succession of three Gothic window openings (trefoils), with arches resting on slender white columns (as you can see in the picture). The building was to be a sort of country manor, located initially, in 1413, just outside the city walls, near Porta San Gervasio. The interior rooms, built around a Central Hall, are spacious and, at the time, were decorated with murals.


Ebook di LuccaThe art collections on display tell the story of the history of Lucca, from the first settlements of Etruscan origin up to the contemporary age. The museum itself is divided into chronological floors. The journey through the history and art of the city begins on the ground floor with a presentation of the archaeological remains of the Etruscan necropolis discovered in 1982, cinerary vessels in San Concordio, as well as remnants from Roman monuments and houses. The upper floors display thirteenth-century masterpieces like La Croce painted by Berlinghiero Berlinghieri, fifteenth century works such as la Pietà by Matteo Civitali and Allegoria dell'Immacolata Concezione e San Biagio e Sant'Eustachio by Giorgio Vasari. Other important works of the 1500s include Il Dio Padre fra Santa Maria Maddalena e Santa Caterina da Siena by Fra Bartolomeo or La Madonna con Bambino e Santi by Amico Aspertini; a Bolognese painter who painted frescoes in the Basilica of San Frediano. The artistic and historical journey ends with eighteenth-century works including L'Estasi di Santa Caterina da Siena by the Lucchese painter Pompeo Batoni, perhaps the most celebrated Italian painters of the second half of the 1700s. Also from this period are the paintings of Girolamo Scaglia, Antonio Felix, the latter the official portrait painter for the de ' Medici Court. Other works by Batoni are located in Palazzo Mansi, on the second floor, where the exhibits continue up to the 20th century. At Villa Guinigi exhibits end at the end of the 1700s. The museum documents the works of local and foreign artists, living and working in Lucca under ecclesiastical or secular orders. 


Museo Nazionale Villa Guinigi

Via della Quarquonia

Entrance: 4,00 euro - 2,00 euro (18-25 years)
Free entrance under 18 and over 65
from martedì to saturday from 8.30 to 19.30 (last entrance 19.00)
Sunday, Monday, closed

Check by phoning Tel: +39 0583496033


Dove si trova?






Ostelli Lucca   Ostelli Italia   Auberges de Jeunesse Italie   Hotel Lucca

Carte Lucques Karte von Lucca  Mapa Lucca Map of Lucca

 Carte de la Toscane     Karte von Toskana     Mapa Toscana     Map of Tuscany

Carte d'Italie   Karte von Italien   Mapa Italia   Map of Italy

Se questa pagina ti è stata utile offrici un: Paypal